The daily routine of developers includes coding, testing, and debugging with varying challenges. Python is the most loved language, and according to a survey, 84% of people like to use Python as their primary coding language. Easing out their work, Python comes with a massive set of frameworks, IDEs, and libraries. Frameworks make the developers’ life easy by offering a structure for application development. They help by automating the execution of basic solutions and cutting the development time, thus allowing them to focus on logic despite routine elements. There are several Python frameworks, and as per the survey by Stack Overflow 2020, Django and Flask are the most used ones. This article will discuss the top 10 Python frameworks used by any Python Web Development company. Before that, let us have a basic understanding of the Python framework that eases Python web development.
What is Python Framework?
Python framework is the collection of modules and packages that enable developers to write code for Python website development. Frameworks make the developers free from routine tasks, including thread management, managing low-level details, and more, concentrating on the logic used for Python web development.
Choose the Right Framework
According to research by Stack Overflow Developer Survey, Python is the most used language for the fifth time in a row. It has replaced C as the number of programmers willing to use Python grows continuously. As a result, the Python frameworks are also gaining popularity. Frameworks make the work of developers easy working for any web application development company.
The key thing to consider while selecting the framework for your Python website development is the complexity and size of the project. In addition to that, check if the framework can scale vertically or horizontally. The scaling adds more features with time, runs applications on multiple servers, etc.
Types of Frameworks
1. Full Stack Framework
A full-stack framework is an all-in-one solution supporting the Python web development of front-end UI and back-end logic while communicating with databases. It is the most popular and convenient framework, meeting all the needs of a Python web development company.
Microframework does not possess any extra features and functionalities. This framework contains only the necessary features for Python web development. Such frameworks are easy to start the development as there is no need to make many decisions.
3. Asynchronous Framework
The asynchronous framework has become popular in recent years once the Asyncio library was released. Such frameworks enable the users to work on huge sets of concurrent connections, web servers, high-performance networks, databases, connection libraries, etc.
Top 10 Frameworks for Python Web Development in 2022
We have collated a list of the top 10 frameworks for Python website development. Our list contains all the 3 types of frameworks we discussed. You can choose the one you require based on the features they offer.
Django is an open-source and free-to-use Python framework. This framework allows developers to develop complicated codes as well as applications rapidly. Django framework is also used to develop high-quality web applications. The developers can also use the Django framework to rapidly develop web apps and the Application Programming Interface (APIs). There are over 12,000 popular projects developed using the Django framework. Over and above that, it is one of the most sought-after and long-serving web development frameworks.
This top-notch python framework smoothen the process of web app development by offering various robust features. It consists of a massive collection of libraries that minimizes the need for coding and makes the components reusable.
Key Features of Django
- Helps define the URLs patterns for your website.
- A vigorous and simple URL system.
- A flexible and satisfying ORM.
- Allows automatic migrations to run.
- Has an in-built authentication system.
Flask is the second most popular Python framework after Django. It is a WSGI microframework that helps developers with full-stack development using Python. Developers can start instantly with this framework, allowing them to develop highly efficient and scalable web applications. The framework also provides the integral unit testing feature, supporting secured cookies. This framework is created with simplicity and productivity, making it an easy-to-use full-stack web development framework. The best part is that it does not require any specific tool extension or library but allows the usage of any tool or library. Flask is crafted specifically for the development of small-scale applications. Moreover, it consists of a built-in debugger and server.
Key Features of Flask
- Supports unit testing.
- Has in-built debugger.
- Compatible with Google Application Engine.
- It is based on Unicode.
- Werkzeug WSGI toolkit.
- Stores Cookies to support the work of Client-Side.
- Handles HTTP requests.
Pyramid is another open-source and popular Python Web application framework that keeps up with many technological developments. The framework runs on Python 3. The main goal of Pyramid is to develop web applications with the minimum complexity possible. It is a flexible framework developers can use for both difficult and easy projects. Moreover, it is a well-known and the most used framework among the most experienced Python developers because of its high quality and transparency. It allows the developers to decide on generation libraries, templating language, and database layer. The community using Pyramid is quite active, and it has released a total of 10 versions since 2010.
Key Features of Pyramid
- Allows the generation and validation of HTML structure.
- Supports flexible approval and authentication.
- Supports comprehensive data documentation and testing.
- Able to run on both large as well as small applications.
- WebHelpers and URL dispatch allows the URL mapping through Routes configuration.
TurboGears is an open-source and data-driven Python framework for web application development. It was initially created to integrate the best components of different Python frameworks and to meet the insufficiency of many mobile and web application development. Developers can use this framework for web application development even with negligible setup. The framework allows the rapid development of extendible data-driven applications. The templating engine is user-friendly, and ORM is flexible and powerful. Another great feature of TurboGears is the flexibility, reusable snippets, and robust support of aggregates that make developers’ life easy.
Key Features of Turbogears
- Support for multi-database.
- Has PasteScript templates and MVC-style architecture.
- Command-line tools are accessible.
- Features accomplished as function decorators.
- Server deployment and frontend design coordinated with ToscaWidgets.
- WSGI-based servers on the front-facing.
- FormEncode offers validation.
- Supports SQLAlchemy and SQLObject.
Web2py is an open-source and scalable full-stack framework of Python. It supports almost every operating system, both web and mobile-based. Also, it is especially efficient while handling data. The Web2py framework has its web-based IDE, which includes single-click deployment, debugger, and code editor. Originally, it was created as a teaching tool, focusing on its ease of use. That is why it has no configuration files at the project level. The framework also promotes rapid development and uses the model view controller architecture. It has a key feature called a ticketing system that creates tickets as the error occurs. The ticketing system also allows users to track errors and the status these errors have.
Key Features of Web2py
- Installation and configuration are not needed.
- Has MVC architecture that simplifies web development.
- Allows the usage of NoSQL and relational databases.
- Useful batteries allow the development of web applications efficiently without external tools.
- Addresses major threats and security issues, making the application secure.
The Bottle is the most used micro-framework of Python that developers employ for web development. It has one standard code library, and it creates a single source file for every application built using it. This library consists of exceptions, an inbuilt template engine, and functions. Developers can use objects in Python code without adding any import statement. A key benefit of using the Bottle framework is working more closely with the hardware. It is the best framework if someone wants to learn prototyping, built for the personal-use app, and the organisation of web frameworks.
Key Features of Bottle
- In-built template engine.
- Compatible with Cheetah, Mako, and Jinja2.
- Has HTTP development server in-built.
- Supports the dynamic URL generation.
- Has no dependencies externally.
- Has Plug-ins, supporting distinct databases.
- Allows Cookies Sessions, headers, and file uploading.
Tornado is an open-source framework and asynchronous networking library. This asynchronous framework makes use of non-blocking I/O while solving C10k issues. It is the best framework to build an app with high performance allowing simultaneous usage by many thousand users. The framework gets executed with a single thread per process and is not WSGI-based, differentiating it from most Python-based frameworks. The popularity of Tornado is similar to Flask and Django, owing to its features and tools with high performance.
Key Features of Tornado
- In-built template engine.
- Support for localisation and translation.
- Output is of high quality.
- Allows execution of authorisation schemes and third-party authentication.
- Provides support for user authentication.
- Offers real-time services.
- Supports web templating.
- Non-blocking HTTP client.
Cherrypy is an open-source Python framework for web application development. It is the most used Python framework because it offers a minimum interface and user experience. This framework allows web application development easy and fast as the framework facilitates the development of web applications similar to object-oriented Python programs. This framework is flexible and allows the usage of any technology for data access and template, thus making it the most flexible. CherryPy also provides full access to handle cookies, sessions, file uploads, and statics. It also allows the use of any WSGI compatible or as a web server itself.
Key Features of Cherrypy
- Robust installation and configuration system.
- Testing support, Coverage, and Profiling are inbuilt.
- Contains inbuilt tools to be used for Sessions, Encoding, Static Content, Caching, and Authentication.
- Versatile Plug-in system.
- Faster development time.
- Support for multiple HTTP servers.
- WSGI thread-pooled webserver.
- Compliant to HTTP/1.1
Falcon is a Python framework that aims to build web APIs like configuration files and backend applications. Compared to Flask and Django, Falcon takes the requests quickly while keeping the path understandable. This framework allows developers to build pure design applications and use existing ones, allowing HTTP servers. Also, Falcon gives an efficient and accurate response to HTTP errors and vulnerabilities. The Python framework is not dependent on external to the standard library, which makes the application’s attack surface smaller. On the other hand, it maintains the distance from the transitive bugs.
Key Features of Falcon
- Advanced exception handling.
- Cython support boosts the speed.
- Highly-optimised and extendible code base.
- Processes DTY requests.
- WSGI helpers support the unit testing.
- Resource classes inspired by REST.
- Offers middleware components.
- URL templates provide intuitive routing.
FastAPI is a new microframework of Python that works faster and can be used to develop APIs. The framework is quite simple and similar to Flask. FastAPI is specially built using Starlette ASGI and provides various sturdy and useful features, including GraphQL, WebSockets, and templates. Most of the sectors globally are adapting FastAPI owing to its performance. It has doubled the speed of web development with 40% fewer errors. The debugging works faster and supports any preferred databases and automatic interactive documentation.
Key Features of FastAPI
- Enables any WSGI App.
- Allows the easy creation of Plugins using dependency injection.
- Allows adding Jinja Templates and Static Files.
- Consists of APIRouters allowing split of the bigger application into the smaller units.
- Provides data validation and free code conversion.
- Development is 200%-300% faster.
Choosing the right framework for Python web development is the first step for a successful project. We have listed the most used Python frameworks used by any web development company. You can choose any of them based on the features they offer and the requirements of your project. RV Technologies is a web development company that can help you select the correct framework for your project and help with web development as per your need.