Since the launch of Tinder, there has been a spike in mobile dating apps. People are no longer flocking to cafés, pubs, or libraries in search of their soul mate or a short-term romantic partner.
The dating app sector is booming, with yearly revenue exceeding $3 billion. According to reports, about 40% of Americans and approximately 40 million individuals globally use dating applications like Tinder and Bumble.
In this post, we’ll go over the processes of creating a dating app and what to expect from your mobile app development partner when outsourcing for a dating app project. Also, you will find answers to how you can start a dating app business of your own and what you should expect on the way. Let’s find some answers below.
Important guidelines to follow while developing a dating app
Analyze your business plan for compatibility
Analyzing your business plan for compatibility with market demand is always the first step in business planning. It enables you to grasp the notion of your app and assess the concept: do consumers really need what you’re offering? Is there a market for another Tinder clone, or should you pursue a different path? You’ll also be able to pinpoint your target market, their wants, and the precise features they desire.
To begin, consider the following figures from BusinessofApps for the US market:
- Tinder receives 1.6 billion swipes per day.
- At least once, 60 percent of adults aged 18 to 29 have used a dating website or app.
- 66% of dating app users have gone out on a date with someone they met through the app.
- In the United States, 20% of couples met online.
- 17 percent of those who use online dating services get engaged to someone they met on the site.
- The internet dating sector generates $1.8 billion in sales each year.
Tinder, Bumble, and Happn cover everything from casual to serious; students to middle-aged professionals, thus a new competitor is unlikely to arise in the North American market. OkCupid and Match.com, for example, cater to older and more serious partnerships. As per Statista, more people in North America, Europe, and South America sign up for dating apps, the industry is likely to develop steadily. Even India and China are emerging as key markets for online dating.
- In 2022, sales growth for the Dating Services segment is predicted to be 9.4%.
- By 2025, the number of users in the Dating Services market is estimated to reach 733.5 million.
Invest in market and competitors research
There are more than 8000 dating apps listed on app stores. It is quite an abundance. However, you won’t have to compete with every single dating app on the market; instead, you’ll only have to compete with ones that are similar to yours. So, once you’ve made the decision to pursue dating app development, you’ll need to discover your immediate competitors among the 8,000 and evaluate what they’re doing correctly and poorly.
Apart from the world’s giants, Tinder, Happn, Match.com, and Badoo, what other dating services are there? Making a comprehensive list would most likely take all day.
Grindr and Her — dating apps for LGBTQIA+ and lesbian and queer women, respectively — are the first that come to mind. However, dating services cater to a wide range of demographics.
For a dating app startup, focusing on a specific specialty is a fantastic approach. You have fewer competitors in a specialty, and if you do things correctly, you’ll gain a more dedicated audience. For example, DateMyPet allows pet owners to discover a match who will never object to their devoted fluffy companion. It’s a good business idea because breakups over pets aren’t uncommon. In fact, research shows that 86% of people choose their dogs before a potential spouse.
The options are limitless.app development At the same time, it’s always a good idea to look at the general market leaders – you might be able to come up with a unique approach to incorporate some of their characteristics into your specialty.
Study features of your top competitors
Tinder opened the door for the online dating business to flourish. It simplifies matchmaking, from simple profile set up with social media integration to writing tailored bios. Time magazine dubbed it a “cultural phenomenon” when it debuted in 2012.
Some classic features that define tinder are as follows:
- The Iconic Swipe – With just a swipe, you may accept or reject, like or dislike, have group discussions, and even get recommendations through the app.
- Video Chat – Once the conversation has been initiated, Tinder also allows its users to start a video chat, making it easier for consumers to decide whether or not to meet in person.
- Offline mode – Tinder allows users to communicate, right swipe, and even check their profiles while they are offline.
- Intuitive features – It includes a user-friendly interface and innovative features such as Lists, Matchmakers, and Moments.
Tinder is the market leader in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, and, perhaps most shockingly, India.
Bumble is a platform for women to manage the area to initiate a conversation, revolutionizing the safe dating app paradigm of higher male users. Men’s sleaziness is being reduced down, safeguarding women from unsolicited nasty or abusive messages, as well as feeling overwhelmed and the app is being marketed as a safe dating app. The app has 55 million users globally, with 72 percent of them under the age of 35.
- Personalized features include the “Rematch function,” which sends out reminders about potential matches that were not clicked the first time around.
- Bumble maintains the safety of its users by confirming daters through real-time photos, which helps to prevent internet bots.
- Switching modes- The app offers a unique BFF Mode option that helps users locate pals of the same sex. Bumble also allows you to search for friends and business connections, rather than just dates.
- Enhanced Algorithm – Bumble has an outstanding tool to battle unwanted photographs thanks to innovative AI. The app will blur the photo and display a message underneath that says, “this photo is blurred to protect you from improper content.” The photos can be reported, blocked, or viewed by the recipients.
- Every user has free access to Bumble, however, there are some wonderful premium features that can be unlocked by purchasing Bumble Boost and Bumble Coins.
Happn facilitates meeting persons with whom users have recently crossed paths. You may have seen them on the other side of the street, strolled past them during the day, sat across from them in a cafe or on the bus. Here’s what makes Happn stand out from the crowd of dating apps:
- In contrast to Tinder, Happn shows you several people, without compelling you to like or pass.
- You can have an unlimited number of likes.
- Users can use it for free because of its monetization mechanism.
On the other hand, others have attacked Happn, claiming that its major function encourages stalking. If you’re considering adopting a comparable feature, you may need to conduct additional research on your target audience.
Monetizing your dating app
In the end, you would like to earn a profit from your dating app venture. A user spends approximately 90 minutes each day on popular dating apps, and it may be odd to say, but the business of online dating apps is much more than just match-making. A revenue model’s goal is to draw in a user and allow them to spend money on services that they find valuable and interesting.
You may use the following monetizing strategies to earn profit.
a. In-app advertisements:
Incorporate an offer wall or other forms of advertisements into your app. You’ll be compensated for each ad click. Dating apps developers have begun to monetize the platform by allowing marketers to engage with consumers using the app’s USP, with the beauty, health, clothes, and food industries seeing a lot of momentum.
b. Freemium access
Tinder, a freemium dating app in the United States, is making its users addicted and forcing them to pay for subscriptions to access its “Tinder Plus” and “Tinder Gold” packages, which give users unlimited swipes, super-likes, multi-location search, and other features. Users who become addicted to Android dating applications will pay extra for greater features and matches.
c. In-app purchases
Allow users to purchase emojis, more swipes, likes, and other items. This monetization method is used by Happn: for a few dollars, you can buy “charms,” and when you “charm” someone, they are quickly notified.
Prototyping, Developing, and Testing
Prototypes can be created after you have evaluated your idea and conducted business analysis and market research. We recommend starting with a low-fidelity prototype (LFP). This enables you to comprehend all of the cause-and-effect linkages that exist between buttons and windows. An LFP can also assist you in estimating development costs and resources.
Create a black-and-white prototype as the following step. To create a UX design for your product, you must first complete this stage. Then put the wireframes to the test and make a change map.
Create a black-and-white prototype as the following step. To create a UX design for your product, you must first complete this stage.
A high-fidelity prototype is the final stage of prototyping (HFP). This is required for conducting crowd testing, which provides feedback from your target audience and assists your developers in finding flaws to address early in the development process. Then put the wireframes to the test and make a change map
Deploying the app and maintenance
Deploying or getting the app live is the final stage for mobile app developers mobile app developers. However, after the software has been downloaded and used, criticism and concerns will begin to stream in. As a result, the developer must be prepared to respond to all concerns and correct any issues with the program.
Monitor your app’s usage with mobile analytics systems and measure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to determine its success once it’s released in the app stores. Check crash reports or other user-reported concerns on a regular basis.
Must-have features for a dating app
Let’s go over some of the most important features any dating app must have as per current industry trends before you begin with the app development process:
1. Onboarding: This includes the first steps to bring users on board with Sign up and create an account on the app. Users may opt to sign up using Facebook login, email, or their Google account.
2. Profile: The initial user profile may be built using information gathered from Facebook, such as a bio, photographs, interests, age, sex, and so on. A user can also personalize his or her profile by uploading images and videos, editing basic information, and adding interests, among other things. It’s also a good idea to let people build their own “about me” stuff. This is where all the in-app purchases would reflect like boosts, superpowers, charms, and more.
3. Discover people: When people are seeking a relationship, they usually want to find someone they can meet without too much problem, which usually means people who live in the same city or state. An app that has access to a phone’s GPS may locate people nearby and generate a list of prospective matches based on proximity.
It employs system algorithms to match people and suggest probable pairings with changeable settings. Users can utilize this tool to find their matches based on their search parameters.
4. Matchmaking: Matching isn’t a random process. Matching algorithms nowadays begin with a user’s profile data and preferences. Then, based on which profiles the user likes and ignores, artificial intelligence (AI) engines understand the user’s preferences using compatibility questions, social presence, and online questionnaires. With time, the profiles that appear in a person’s suggestions get more and more personalised to what they’ve previously enjoyed.
5. Messaging and chats: It’s time to communicate once you’ve found your match. It will allow users to read a connected user’s profile, establish a chat with the matched individual, post media, make a video call, or block users if they wish to stop communicating with them.
6. Security and privacy: As useful and exciting as online dating is, there’s no disputing that it’s given rise to new forms of harassment. As a result, a lot of online matchmaking businesses offer the option of finding mates discreetly. Implement a strict policy against harassment. Allow only verified users and enable report abuse.
7. Push Notifications: Keep up with the latest notifications, chats, and comments and make changes as needed to stay on-trend. A missed like or swipe in dating can lead to that special person meeting someone else. Push alerts are a must-have feature in any dating app.
8. Settings: This is a necessary component of practically every mobile app. Users should be able to manage their own accounts. Allows for the creation of filters and the management of social media pages. This is where they will be able to view information about the app, as well as its terms and conditions; use the contact center to contact support and receive assistance. A user account can be deleted.
How much does it cost to make a dating app?
Developing dating applications is a profitable endeavor due to the growing demand and untapped market. The correct app development strategy is required for the architecture of a native, hybrid, or cross-platform app development. App development platform (iOS or Android), backend development, infrastructure costs, app designing, testing resources, QA specialists, support system, and maintenance are all included in the price. Finally, if you want to outsource the work to a dating app development company, you’ll have a project manager to oversee the development process.
The cost of development depends on several factors like choice of platform, number, and complexity of features.
Only the iOS version of Tinder has 555+ hours of work, which covers essential components such as onboarding, my profile page, messaging, discover people feature, matching, and settings.
Aside from that, backend development takes about 200 hours, and UI/UX design takes around 100 hours. In ballpark numbers, an app for both Android and iOS would cost between $37,500 and $50,000, with development taking a year.
You may learn more about app development costs here, or contact us for a unique quotation.
It can be a lengthy and complicated task to create a dating app. Providing attention to detail, comprehensive app testing, and ongoing customer input, on the other hand, allows for the delivery of a feature-rich, smoothly running dating app that can soon become the talk of the town.
Although it may seem that the market is flooded with dating apps of various designs and mechanics, this is what is great about this industry. The audience appreciates experimenting with new things by installing intriguing apps. This could be the turning point in your career.
Simply take your time and think about how to make a dating app using this guidance. To attract users to your app, properly research the market, hire a professional development team, and add your own personal touches to the design.
Get in touch with RV Technologies to get an expert opinion on how we can help you with dating app development.