Migrating your e-commerce store from Magento to Shopify is almost like moving your actual house, which requires adequate preparation to transport all the stuff without any loss. Are you wondering whether it is possible to migrate from Magento to Shopify? Well, it is! Since long back, Magento has defaulted as a leading platform to conduct business; therefore, businesses are considering making this massive shift as Shopify offers flexible features and a user-friendly interface.
Before moving ahead, it is essential to consider many aspects that come your way. Today, we are here to answer all your burning questions through this guide on How to Migrate Your E-commerce Store from Magento to Shopify. So, without any further ado, let’s jump into the details to have a solid understanding of moving Magento to Shopify.
E-commerce Store from Magento to Shopify. So, without any further ado, let’s jump into the details to have a solid understanding of moving Magento to Shopify.
Why do you Need to Migrate from Magento to Shopify?
Are you an e-commerce business owner? Or planning to start one? No matter if you choose to hire experts to make this shift or do it all by yourself, the results will be rewarding. Here are some reasons why Magento to Shopify migration would be an ideal scenario. Let’s have a look –
- The primary goal of Shopify is to help small and large-scale businesses to manage their online businesses effectively. Hence, migrating to Shopify from any other platform or Magento, in particular, will give a straightforward interface and flexible features.
- Secondly, migrating to Shopify can act as an added benefit for your online store as it comes with a series of benefits. After switching to Shopify, you will access your online store with minimal effort and lower cost, saving a lot of money for better usage.
- The security and storage of any online business is another major point of concern. As compared to any other platform, Shopify offers excellent security systems. Besides this, there is a diverse range of apps, add-ons, and other features which can blow your mind.
Who should prefer Shopify over Magento?
Since it offers multi-purpose nature, Shopify is an ideal choice for the following –
- Small Businesses– As compared to other platforms, Shopify is priced reasonably. It means that small businesses that usually lack funds can consider choosing Shopify.
- Non-Techies– Since it is straightforward to set up and handle Shopify, business owners who are not tech-savvy can consider it.
- Growing Businesses– If you’re planning to take your business to the next level, Shopify is an ideal choice.
- Brick and Mortar Stores– It is an easy pick for brick and mortar store owners as they can easily interlink offline software offered by Shopify with the already set operations.
What data can be migrated from Magento to Shopify?
When migrating from Magento to Shopify, the following data can be easily transferred without any loss –
- Product categories and products– All products related to data include name, images, price, SKU, full description, status, manufacturer, special price, meta description, meta description, base image, URL, meta title, variants, and weight.
- Product’s visuals– The product details include its size, shape, and color.
- Data of orders– Amount of purchase, payment details, order date, customer data ID, order products, order status, purchased goods list, product price, quantity, subtotal price, tax price, shipping price, discount price, total price, order comments, customer name, billing address & shipping address.
- Static page content– About us, Contact pages, Blogs & other CMS pages.
- Images– The main page along with in-between content.
- Integrations– Customer-related information, including name, phone number, email addresses, location, and more.
- Benefits– Coupons, discounts, and so on.
Besides data, there are other things too that need to be considered for better business performance. You can lose customer traffic, loyalty, brand image, and conversions in the absence of these. Here is a long list of it –
SEO has become an important term in online businesses as it plays a vital role in making your brand visible to your customers. So, if you want that your brand’s position or SEO traffic remains untouched while migrating from Magento to Shopify, make sure you’re setting up 301 redirects from the previous website pages to the new ones.
The graphic content, including the blogs, product descriptions, and other pages not part of the database, does not remain on the surface. There are links to these images in the content. While migrating, move these images by replacing the links with accurate codes.
There are tags amidst migration on your content from the last platform that need to be removed while making this shift. However, it doesn’t always need to exhibit a good look on the platform. Therefore, you need to make adequate plans regarding fixing this before launching the store’s new look.
Static source collection
Static source collections get transferred to the automatic collection while migrating your e-commerce store from Magento to Shopify. To avoid manual transfer, make sure you’re reaping the benefits of the directory management tool.
Integration and automation
Integrations and automation minimize the overall operational cost of your business. While migrating your e-commerce business, incorporate these, which may lead to challenging processing orders, building marketing campaigns, and handling balances.
Steps to Migrate your E-commerce Store from Magento to Shopify
The following steps will unfold what you need to do to migrate your E-commerce Store from Magento to Shopify smoothly. It is mainly recommended to hire experts to handle the entire migration process to minimize manual errors as they can execute the perfect migration plan through the right tools. Here are the steps to migrate your E-commerce Store from Magento to Shopify –
1.Create a backup of your Magento store
Before stepping into the actual migration process, the first most crucial step is to create a backup of your Magento store to store all the data safely. What if the migration falls apart and you lose all the data related to your customer, payment details, or product? To avoid such scenarios, create a backup!
For creating a backup of your Magento store, follow these steps –
- Firstly, visit the Admin sidebar, click on the “System”, > ‘Tools’> ‘Backups’. From here, choose the type of backup you want to go with. There are mainly three types. These include –
- System backup
- Database and Media Backup
- Database Backup
2.Set up your Shopify account
The next crucial step to migrating your e-commerce store from Magento to Shopify is setting up your Shopify account without extra charges or modules and making it live. When you visit Shopify, you can start by clicking on the “Start free trial” for trying and exploring the platform for the first 14 days without spending even a penny. How cool is that, right?
This trial period helps you understand Shopify and tools before making powerful commitments. However, once the period is over, you are required to sign up for the paid plan to avail of further services. Here are three major pricing plans for you to choose as per your needs –
- Basic Shopify ($29/month)
- Shopify ($79/month)
- Advanced Shopify ($299/month)
3.Download the store import app
Shopify’s app features hundreds and thousands of exciting applications, but how would you decide whether it will work for you or not? Here are some app suggestions which can help you move seamlessly –
- Store importer
- Multichannel importer
- Ablestar Bulk Product Editor
By downloading these apps, you can easily migrate your customer’s data, products, and other details from Magento to Shopify without any fuss or brainstorming.
4.Export data from Magento to Shopify
Now, your data is already ready to shift into your new house. Excited? Just follow the following steps and start packing your boxes for starters.
- Visit the Admin sidebar, go to the System > Data Transfer > Export
- When you visit the Export Settings section, select one Entity Type from the following options –
- Customers Main File
- Customer Addresses
- If you’re going with applications like Transporter, click on the default Export File Format in XML or CSV.
- Click on the Fields Enclosure checkbox if you’re looking to enclose any character in the data.
- Scroll down and tap on the continue.
- Now, all data files exported will appear in /var/export folder.
5.Import the data to Shopify
In step 5, all your data is set to get imported into Shopify. Following the below-mentioned steps to complete the process –
- Visit the Shopify admin page and tap on Apps > Import Store.
- Click your platform option as Other since Magento is not a part of the list.
- Click on add files and tap on exported files in the uploaded files.
- Click on the CVS file which you exported from the Magento store.
- Click on Continue import followed by Import to complete the process.
6.Review import data
Once the data is imported, it is imperative to review everything to ensure that the entire data is transferred. Here is the list of common issues faced during reviewing imported data –
- Successful data import with minor defects – Edit all the imported information manually by checking the import summary to eliminate defects.
- Certain customer’s or product data failed to import – In case all the customer’s or product data is not imported successfully, add them manually from customers or products import option.
- Bundled products failed to import – Use the product bundling application from Shopify or add these manually.
- Unpublished in Shopify but imported successfully – If the products are unpublished in Shopify even after they are imported successfully, change the product availability in Shopify.
- Tags are added to the imported records – The tags are added by the Store Importer as import__
- Product variants do not get imported – Add product variants such as weight, color, size, and so on manually, if missing.
- Imported products do not have dimensions – Add dimensions to product descriptions manually to solve this.
- Products were imported entirely but failed to be published – Install a specific Shopify app for selling products digitally.
7.Revamp your new Shopify store
Now, it’s time to have some fun with your e-commerce store! Once all the data is transferred and verified, it is time to design and customize your Shopify store. There are tons of visual cues and read-made themes to create a beautiful experience for any landing on your page.
Your e-commerce store from Magento to Shopify migration doesn’t need to be tricky or complex; however, it does require professional understanding and techniques to complete the work and meet the needs without making errors which can cost you your site. And we know how frustrating it will be. Till now, you must possibly know how to migrate your e-commerce store from Magento to Shopify. The steps mentioned above are elementary and straightforward; hence, you can follow them thoroughly. And we promise, your journey will be exceptionally smooth.
Now, if you’re ready to grow your small-scale e-commerce business to a large extent by taking it to a better platform, it’s the right time to do so. So, if you’re ready to expand your e-commerce business smoothly without taking a toll on your head, why don’t you get in touch with RV Technologies, a leading e-commerce development company? We aim to put out credible information on our website, which is data-driven and gives value to the readers. Being an e-commerce Website Development Company, we offer mobile app development, e-commerce website development services, Shopify Website Development services to meet all requirements.
We focus on all SMEs, MSMEs, Large enterprises, conglomerates, and MNCs with any requirement with mobile apps, websites, CMS, eCommerce platforms, or any customized software services spread across the globe. Visit us today to know more!